File a Complaint

How do I file a complaint? 

Any person may make a complaint concerning the conduct of a police department employee by speaking with a supervisor. Some community members’ concerns may be minor and can be addressed by a supervisor informally. Concerns or complaints of a more severe nature will warrant a formal investigation. A person may initiate an official investigation in-person, over the telephone, via the police department web site by filling out this form and delivering it to the Sierra Madre Police Department, or by mailing a copy of the complaint to: 

Sierra Madre Police Department
Personnel Complaint
242 W. Sierra Madre Blvd, Sierra Madre, CA 91024

What happens next?

Once a formal complaint is received by the Chief of Police, it will be assigned for investigation. A thorough investigation will be conducted and will many times include an interview of the person making the complaint in order to obtain all relevant information. The investigation will include interviewing those individuals who may be witnesses to the incident and the collection of evidence when appropriate.

If it is determined that the employee’s conduct was criminal in nature, the case will be forwarded to the District Attorney’s Office for consideration on filing criminal charges. If it is determined that the employee’s conduct was a violation of Police Department policy, they will receive discipline through the Department’s disciplinary procedures. If it is determined that the employee’s conduct was appropriate, based on the circumstances, no disciplinary action will be taken.